Sunday, July 13, 2008

Where We've Been and What We've Seen-Part 3

Following our day in Germany we had a day at sea to just enjoy life on the boat before hitting some major ports of call. Because the average age on the boat was over 65 there was a lot of Bingo playing. Phillip and I played a couple of times and I had no idea there were so many versions of Bingo. It was pretty hilarious to watch and play, needless to say we didn't win but it was something to do.
Nevertheless, we were really excited about moving on to our next port of call-Stockholm, Sweden. We signed up for some excursion which was a walking tour of the city and included the Royal Palace. This tour again wasn't all that special and when we arrived at the Royal Palace they told us no strollers allowed. Oh, okay, so you would rather take a perfectly happy 2.5 year old that's confined to an environment she's happy with and instead make her walk through a museum where exhibits are wide open and or make her father and pregnant mother take turns carrying her for the next hour. UMMM, NO! Plus they wouldn't let us leave the stroller in their care. We could leave it outside the palace and hope that it's still there when we're done. UMMM, NO! So, at that point this particular Chockley was over the tour excursions and as a result asked the head Chockley to please cancel some of the other port of call excursions. We Chockley's travel best on our own anyways. So, except for St. Petersburg where the Russian government requires that you travel in a tour group or have an individual visa, we opted out of most all of the other tours.

So, we left the Palace rather dumbfounded and a bit perturbed and made the most of the rest of our day in Stockholm. Swedish people are hands down the most beautiful people I've ever seen. Man, woman or child they are beautiful! Sweden is also one of the most expensive countries we've traveled in thus far. I was astounded once I started doing the math! If you know me well you know that ever since I was a little girl I've collected spoons. My dad traveled a good bit when I was growing up and I think it was an inexpensive item to pick up for me so the tradition has continued. Well, in the states as you travel about you can pay anywhere from $2.50-$7.00 for a collectors spoon given how nice it is. Pewter ones are my favorites and tend to run a little higher. Anywho, I bought a regular old spoon from Sweden with nothing but the flag on it and it cost me a whopping $18.00!!! HOLY COW! Needless to say we didn't lend much Chockley money to the Swedish Economy. I'm thankful to have seen it and unless the Chockley's strike gold I don't know that we'll return. A friend of mine was in Norway at the same time and then traveled to Sweden and she mentioned things in Sweden were almost half price what they were in Norway. HOLY COW again! I could have paid $30 for a $2.50 item in the states! Can you tell I have an Econ degree or am I just cheap?

Stay tuned for Port of Call #4, Helsinki, Finland! BEAUTIFUL!

1 comment:

OKeedokey said...

I just have to say that stroller business is CRAZY! Seriously, do they not get the point of the straps on those things?