Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Ciao.

Well, for those of you who don't know already, next Friday will be our last day as Italian residents. Of course I say "our" in the loosest of terms - Melissa and Ella actually flew home about 3 weeks ago.


So, as I sit here now, windows and doors open wide, enjoying the brilliant sun and fresh fall breeze blowing in off of the Mediterranean, I'm reminded of a time where I had no idea what it would be like to live in a foreign country. Now, it seems, that foreign land has clearly become my home. Like a new friend who slowly becomes an old friend without you noticing, so has been our time in Italy. But no matter how much I'll miss it, the end is coming. As of this time tomorrow, the computer I'm typing on now will be crated-up and inside a box somewhere. Our days in bella Italia are truly numbered: 9 days "and a wake-up," to be precise.


Our time here has been incredible, and we will look back fondly on it for the rest of our lives. The travel, the friends, the general sense of one-ness that US citizens here have as we face the difficulties of Neapolitan life - we will miss these things immensely. Of course there are things that I'm sure we won't miss: the driving, the garbage, the rudeness. Oh, and the garbage. We definitely won't miss the garbage.


But like always, leaving is bittersweet; a weird mixture of excitement and sadness. There's a part of me that knows I will miss this place more than any other place I will ever live, and another part that knows I will look back on it many times and be glad to not be here anymore. In the end, I'm very grateful for the opportunity to have been here, and I'm satisfied that the Chockleys took absolutely full advantage of everything Europe had to offer. If we're lucky, it may not be the last time we live here, but I'm certain we'll at least visit many, many more times.


In many ways our return to the states represents a return to the ordinary; a return to the normal; a return to the ho-hum. For that I'm not so excited. But for Chick-Fil-A, and Cracker Barrel, and the movies, and the English language...I'm excited. And, at the very least, living in Italy has shown Melissa and I that we can literally move anywhere, anytime, and make a go of it; we'll never say "I could never do that" again.


Finally, I can't help but think back on a post very similar to this one from a few years ago when we were leaving Norfolk. Our travel here was one of the biggest reasons we started this blog way back then. For those of you who know our current circumstances, the first comment on that post is particularly meaningful to me. It serves as a reminder that in this life we follow our own path, and while we are left to deal with the consequences those decisions bring, those who love us most love us in spite of - and maybe because of - those very choices.


Grazie, Italia. Lei ci ha trattato bene.


- pac

8 comments:

Chip said...

Great post, Phillip. I've enjoyed living the Italian life vicariously.

Good luck in this next chapter, man.

Mommy said...

We have all lived vicariously through you and Mel. Your post is a little vague so I hope you are OK. Safe travels home to your family.

Allison said...

I love the pic of Ella. I am sad for yall. I have loved reading about where all you have been..its been fun to live vicaiously thru you. I hope you have a safe flight and tel Mel I said hi.

Unknown said...

Very moving post, Phillip. We all love and admire you and Mel for your courage to engage in such an adventure. I feel very lucky to have been able to share some of the experience with you, and most of it through the blog. That picture of you and your Dad is one of my favorite memories from the trip.

I'm very proud of the man you have become. It will be very good to have you back home.

Anonymous said...

I love you, Phillip.

Mel said...

I second all of this Phillip. You never cease to amaze me and I love you more everyday! Thank you for taking me on this journey with you. I look forward to returning with you! I love you!

Anonymous said...

I am so proud of the men my children have become. I love you so much Son.

Anonymous said...

phillip,
though years and miles have separated us, you and "martha" have always been dear friends of mine. i am glad to have ya'll a bit closer, and proud to read of the man, husband, and father life has made you to this point.
god has given much grace to get you this far, and there is more for the journey in front of you, unknown and unexpected as it is...