Monday, April 13, 2009

The Rest of the Chocks

I hesitate to even post anything since my hubby is a far superior blogger, but so many have inquired what the rest of us Chocks are doing, as well as how we're doing, while Daddy is away. We were fortunate enough to have a good bit of time with Phillip before he headed out. We spent a week at DisneyWorld and Phillip's brother, Micah, was able to join us for a few days. The following week Phillip had off from work and we were able to run around and get some stuff done , thanks for that General POA, Phillip! And thanks to Josh and Ben we were able to have a date night. Then the last week of March, beginning of April, Phillip had to be in Norfolk for the week so the girls and I tagged along. We were blessed to be able to stay with some wonderful friends in Virginia Beach, The Knox Fam and Ella fell in love with Andy and Brady. We also crashed a night or two with the Rosen's, as we are notorious for doing, Ella loves being with "Maddy" and "Miss Shell". And somehow we managed to be treated to dinner almost every night we were in town. We had dinner with Navy friends we served with in Italy, Navy friends of friends from Italy, and even some Coasties. It was a busy week, but such a blessing to see wonderful friends and know that so many have either been in our shoes or are about to be in our shoes and all are praying for Phillip (and the girls and I as well.) God is good.

I recently told a senior officer's wife "I feel like we're in the real Navy now!" Thus far this journey has been so different than most military families. When friends hear Phillip is deployed the immediate reaction is, "why do they need attorneys over there." Well, the long story short is, they do, so he's going.
As crazy as it may seem to some I wouldn't trade this military life for anything. I love it! I love being close to my family more than I can express and would pack my mom and dad with me everywhere I went, if I could, but I wouldn't trade these experiences for anything. Don't get me wrong, the next six plus months are going to REALLY STINK but I still wouldn't trade it. It'll just be another check mark on my list of why I'm a Super Hero (as are all military spouses).

So anyways, the girls and I dropped Phillip off at NOB in Norfolk, VA on Saturday, April 4 around 6:50am and headed back to MD. We were there long enough for me to take care of some household items as well as wash and repack and then we hit the road for TN last Wednesday. I pulled out of the driveway about 9:15am and we arrived at Uncle Scott's at 7:00pm. It should have taken me just under 7 hours to make the drive. Needless to say with a 3 year old, a 4 month old, a 75lb dog and Murphy the goldfish, it took me a little longer. The girls were great though, hindsight anyways. Daddy and Nana were praying! Only major issue that day was I left my credit card at the Cracker Barrel and had to return to get it. Thankfully I was only a mile down the road when I realized it. That's what I get for texting Phillip to tell him I was eating at the Barrel while he was enjoying an MRE in the training field.

The girls and I are going to try to stay busy and away from home as much as possible. At least for these first few months anyways. We're headed to Orlando for a few days at the end of the month to visit family and meet up with my parents. Then we'll slowly make our way to Montana with my parents to spend all of May and probably the beginning of June before returning.

I ask that you keep Phillip in your thoughts and prayers over the next 6 plus months. He and I have a peace about this and felt it was the right choice for us. I'm certain there are some amazing things God is going to teach me along this journey. And I'm hopeful that I come through stronger than when I began.



4 comments:

Susan Wyatt said...

i think you are a super hero! thanks so much for your sacrifice! enjoy your travels. we'll pray for the family. we appreciate you guys so much!

Amy J said...

there is no way you'll be anything less than a better lady by the time pac returns. you and yours are in my prayers. if you're swinging through nashville anytime let me know—dinner's on me! x, aj

Jennifer said...

i've already told you i think you are super mom!!! we are praying for you all and have the boys doing so too!!!! i can't wait to have a couple of playdates before you take off again!

Lady Katie said...

You are a super mom. And I appreciate your blogging about this so much. You're in our thoughts and prayers. I hope you love Montana. It's simply beautiful. We're moving to Idaho in about a month now, for Benjamin's residency. If you should go through Pocatello, drop me a line. I'd love to see the girls in person. Hugs and blessings. ~Katie