Thursday, May 14, 2009

Go West!

Well, Phillip has been on his deployment for about a month and a half. Unfortunately, it seems it's hardly begun. Everyday down is a day closer to being together again. Before he left we made sure we had lots to do in the beginning to pass the time and it's hard to believe we're at the beginning of our last planned event. Ella, Josie, Nash, Murphy the goldfish and I left MD on April 9th, I think, and headed to TN. We spent Easter with my brother, Scott. Ella had her first memorable egg hunt. Totally redneck...it was at the Bass Pro Shop, however, it was the hardest egg hunt I've ever participated in. Then a week or so later the girls and I flew to FL to meet up with my parents, Nana and Papa for some time at Disney and a visit with extended family. Ella had a blast at my uncle's in the Villages as she rode around everywhere on Uncle JJ's golf cart. We then returned to TN for a week before hitting the road with my parents to Montana where they currently live. We left on Mother's Day and it took us 4 days of driving to finally arrive safely in Billings, MT. As you can see along the way we made some stops. We took a slight detour to Nebraska for my mom who is determined to visit all 50 states. It was a short visit across the stateline but we happened upon a Lewis and Clark Welcome Center. The next day we hit,the Corn Palace in Mitchell, SD and Wall Drug in Wall, SD-if you've ever been you know it's a riot but one of those American roadtrip must see's. We also went to Mt. Rushmore that night and it was crazy windy and cold but again, we had to do it. They supposedly have a evening show with lights and a tribute to military which my parents have seen and really wanted me to see but it was just too windy for the girls and I'm convinced the Park Ranger on duty thought so too. I'm pretty sure there wasn't a light show that night. Then on Wednesday morning we made our last big stop at Bear Country USA. It's a drive through wildlife park. My dad and I were convinced we might get lucky to see one bear but I had no idea it would have as many as it did along with, Elk, Reindeer, Wolves, Wildcats, Buffalo, and Mt. Goats. It was worth every penny. For my Italy friends it was on par with the Zoofari down in Puglia. After we left there we continued the road trip through, WIND, RAIN, SNOW, and SLEET! Craziness, but we made it safe and sound. Gotta say I do love driving interstate with a speed limit of 75 and not a trooper ANYWHERE! It reminded me of Italy.

2 comments:

dgsandbjsmom said...

I loved our stop at Wall Drug!

Rachel Spence said...

Looks like you guys have had a full schedule and fun too! Corn Palace--been there.....Wall Drugs---been there!! Fun stuff those are places you could never make up and if you are near you HAVE to go! HA!!